Fixing the box.

The problems of data sent over the serial port were caused by the electrostatic potential changes generated by human contact. We previously conducted tests in a rough box - now we have to create a box that will be assembled on the glove.

With a few tools and a little practice we created one according to the sensor dimensions, the sensor fits perfectly in the box.


Interface Engineering

COURBE Yohan help us to modifie the explode of our cube because we have a lot of stuff to do, this is a screen shot :

Cube explode

We have calibrate the sensor to processing and we have send OSC messages to Resolume Avenue.

Now we can with the glove :

  • change the opacity (for watching the first or the second video);
  • zooming;
  • rotate x.

We think these 3 things, it’s very cool for a prototype just do a mix with 2 videos, we play sound in processing, each videos is associated to a sound.


Prototype Improvement

So now, at the end of the week we roughly completed our prototype. In fact we did the general stuff to achieve this and used our whole Saturday’s energy with debugging and improving functionality and interface design.

For debugging purpose, it was necessary to go through the code to check possible problems when connecting with Resolume Avenue. Afterwards and/or within this process we had to make some adaptions in the settings for the sensor and/or for the program-code.

Additionally, we searched and defined the content for Resolume Avenue. For the music we wanted to have a mixture between famous music from our countries and belgian traditional music. Related to the tags we decided to take our somehow favorite music party songs for the nightlife, more belgian traditional music for the Atomium, for the European Union we took traditional composed music, for the ISIB we took funny music about teamwork. For the video material, we decided doing most of the video material on our own. So a part of our group climbed buildings just to make sure we have enough video material for our prototype. Additionally, it was necessary to edit and convert the files into the right file format.

Meanwhile, we were doing the new interface design for the screens. According to our project poster, we decided to do an similar design for the interface. In the end – almost all screens are done by today – maybe some slight changes due to the code-design connection are still possible. If so, this minor bugs are going to be corrected while discussing about the presentation.

Furthermore, we searched for visual effects from the processing examples book, Rudi GIOT, gave us to discuss possible screen-changings. By the way: it’s pretty good and worth to write the ISBN number.
Team 4 at work


First Brainstorming

To introduce and explain our goal of this project, we made a main brainstorming session with all our principle ideas. With the help of our coaches, Tom HEENE and Kenneth LABIAU, we talked about the possibilities and functionality of the final result.

So we had to find a common understanding of the project tools, the project goal and also the final prototype. After all these reflections, we agreed on the same concept: using the interactive glove to mix videos and add music of specific themes, Brussels.

The sources for the videos are personal travel experiences (e.g. monuments, cultural stuff, nightclubs, … ) and videos from the internet (youtube, vimeo, google, … ).

The prototype for our group for the following week will include videos from our own experiences as well as videos from the web. Those videos will be loaded into a video composer software called Resolume Avenue. The user chooses some tags of Brussels and gets directed to a video composition related to the chosen tags. With the ability of the glove, especially the finger/gravity sensors, the user can manipulate the videos (while Resolume runs in the background).

So for conclusion, we want to create a installation wich allows users to create their own Brussels experiences, mixed by themselves.

After all of this, we had to find a name to our project. With several propositions by all the members of the group, we agreed with this name: VGMove. We thought that name was the most significant, including keywords like “visual”, “glove” and “move”; which means that we can move and mix videos by including visual effects, with all the possibilities given by the interactive glove.